Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I've Figured it Out!

So today my dad decided to turn on some lion/dragon dance competitions. He blasted the music like he always does. It INSTANTLY drew me in! The dances were amazing!! After a couple of dances my dad turned off the TV (he said he couldn't watch it anymore because Vietnam WHOOPED Hong Kong's lion tooshies).

My mom walks up the stairs a couple minutes later and goes into the kitchen. My dad asks, "Want to watch some lion dances?!" My mother replies with, "Not if I have to sit and listen to something going BAM BANG BANG BAM BAM BAM! The whole time! My mother could NEVER sit and watch this let alone be in the next room!!" My dad asked, "Why?!" My mother answers with, "It's OBNOXIOUS!"

And that is why I love my Asian culture SOOO much better than I love my Caucasian. It's exciting. It's loud. It's CULTURE!!! Caucasians are boring. They don't appreciate sound (or noise whatever they call it). They don't appreciate the THOUSANDS of years that it has taken to perfect the art of lion and dragon dancing!! Instead Caucasians are obsessed with the culture of consumerism. Eating. Keeping up with the Jones. Is there any reason to NOT love my Asian culture?!

(It also doesn't help that I LOVE EVERYTHING OPPOSITE of my mother. I can't help it. It's just a natural attraction that pulls me in like a N to S polar opposition!)

3 comments:

  1. Found u @ Womens Blogger Directory. Interesting post & I love asian culture too :)

    Sometimes, I find Singaporeans too westernize. Most children here, like my son, grow up speaking English & neglecting their Chinese roots. It's sad :< That's why we always have "Speak Mandarin Campaign" in S'pore.

    ReplyDelete